Sunday, May 17, 2009

All Shook Up

It was just about an hour ago, about 8:45 p.m. PDT. I was walking down the hallway in our house. I heard a noise, like something falling. Then there was a jolt followed by a few seconds of violent shaking.


As was confirmed via "Breaking News" on the TV a few minutes later, it was an earthquake. Its magnitude was 5.0. And more important to us, the epicenter was in the Hawthorne/Lennox area, only about 15 miles from our home. Fortunately, nothing appears to have been damaged in our home. I did find one table clock that tipped over on its face, but that's it. Not even a power surge.


All is quiet now. But we are alert, waiting to see if there are any aftershocks that might be felt here. I grew up in tornado country. And although I have been through about a half dozen shakers since moving to the Los Angeles area, they still scare me more than the twisters ever did. For Donna, the California native, it's just the opposite.


And soon to bed. Just another day here in southern California.


7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Glad you're all OK. Scary.

Leon said...

Thanks CHARLES. All is well here. It came and went very quickly. And we have not felt any of the aftershocks.

josie2shoes said...

I woke up to one once, when I lived in Germany - in a high rise apartment. Felt the bed shaking - it was definitely scary! Waiting for possible aftershocks is even worse. I'm so glad that you are ok and no major damage to your home. I was raised in tornado country and they terrify me too - but amazing to watch their power on tv!

Darlene said...

My son lives in Van Nuys and the worst earthquake he experienced was the Northridge Quake.

I have a lump in my throat every time I read of a California quake with my three children and all of my grandchildren living there. I will never get used to the threat.

I'm glad there was no damage to you or your home.

Leon said...

JOSIE - Thanks for your thoughts. There was little damage throughout the area and we had none. We haven't felt any of the aftershocks.

DARLENE - Thanks for your good thoughts. Believe me, this was very minor compared to the Northridge quake. While we were okay then, I never want to go through another one of that magnitude. . .ever.

Eric Valentine said...

Glad you are all ok there Leon, can't imagine a quake round here and yet they are supposed to be possible.. I'll pass though while I can. See you later my friend.. :)

Leon said...

ERIC - Thanks for stopping by. All is well here. You've been missed, my friend.