Monday, December 6, 2010

Dave Brubeck is 90

Today is jazz great Dave Brubeck's 90th birthday and that brings back some wonderful memories for The Ancient One.  I first saw the Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1959 at  Baker's Keyboard Lounge in Detroit.   What a night!   Brubeck was joined by Paul Desmond on Sax, Joe Morello on Drums and Eugene Wright on Bass. It was truly the way straight ahead jazz was meant to be heard; a small rather smoky little club. 51 years later The Anceint One has not forgotten.

2 comments:

The Old Professor said...

I noted his birthday with the same sense of nostalgia. Shortly thereafter Bob Feller passed away. I'm not sure why that connects in my mind except I feel there is a whole generation that never enjoyed either of these gentleman and their lives are lesser for that.
I'm happy to have run across your blog.
The Old Professor
http://oldprof.blogspot.com/

Leon said...

Thanks for your comment Ole Prof. I remember Feller pitching for Cleveland and usually beating my beloved Tigers. Also had long term memory evoked the other day when I heard that Walt Dropo died.