Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Barroom Unlike Any Other

This past Sunday, I attended the matinee performance of Tim Kelly's The Face on the Barroom Floor at Palos Verdes Peninsula High School. It just so happened that this was the first directing effort of younger son Seth, the new drama teacher at the school.



If you like puns and really corny jokes, you will love this play. As the director noted in his program comments, it has the kind of humor he complained about incessantly growing up and listening to on a daily basis as it spewed from the lips of The Ancient One. I guess I would describe the play as a western farce and the jokes and laughing begin right at the start and continue through the most wonderfully rollicking final 10 minutes I have ever seen on stage.


The entire cast of 14 students was extremely talented and I hesitate to single out any one of them. That means, of course, that I am about to do just that. Zachary Barryte was absolutely delightful as the arch villain Roderick Rodent. Not for one moment did he stray from his character and his comic timing was perfect. I could probably say the same thing about the rest of the cast too but I have known Zach since he was about 5 years old and his family does live across the street from us. So, I offer my kudos to Zach and apologize to the rest of the cast for not mentioning their names while congratulating them all on great performances.


Barroom continues this week with 7 p.m. performances on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and a 2 p.m. closing on Sunday. Where? The PAC at Palos Verdes Peninsula High School, Hawthorne Boulevard @ Silver Spur Road in Rolling Hills Estates, CA. Tickets online at: PENHIGHDRAMA.COM and information by phone at 310.377.4888 x830. If you are within commuting distance, don't miss it! The director's dad wants you there!


No comments: