Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Hanukkah!

At sundown this evening the 8 day festival of Hanukkah begins.



Donna has decorated the house for the holiday. Both outside:







And inside (including many of the Hanukkiah she has collected over the years):




In the course of my lifetime, the celebration of Hanukkah has changed drastically. It was not a gift giving holiday. But that has changed; as Christmas became more commercialized, so did Hanukkah as the Jewish version of gift giving. The nightly candle-lighting tradition remains as does playing dreidel games and the food, especially potato latkes (pancakes) of which I still partake unofficially and in moderation. (Please don't tell my cardiologist!)


So to all who stop by this week, Happy Hanukkah!!

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Since marrying Lana, who is Jewish, I finally know what a dreidel is.

savannah said...

happy hanukkah, sugar! xoxo

Eric Valentine said...

Happy Hanukkah Leon and gently on the pancakes my friend. :)

Leon said...

CHARLES - Have you played any dreidel games. . .and won? :~D

SAVANNAH - Thank you!

ERIC - Thank you, my friend! I shall try my best to partake of latkes in moderation. But no promises. :~D