Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Deep, But Not A Perfect, Storm

I just finished Lincoln Child's Deep Storm, a book that caught my eye while passing through the local Costco Warehouse store. It is billed accurately as a thriller, but in some ways it seems more like science fiction which is not one of my favored genres. The action takes place in "a top secret aquatic science facility," two miles below the ocean's surface. It is concealed by what appears to be an oil platform in the North Atlantic.


There is plenty of action. There is conflict between the military and scientific personnel and their differing goals as they drill down through the ocean floor toward. . . . I won't say what they are seeking; it would reveal too much about the plot line. Dr. Michael Crane is a likable, imaginative protagonist.




Suffice to say that this is an engaging, well told story. Parts of it are gripping. I enjoyed Deep Storm although it does not go high on my list of favorites; probably only 3 of 5 stars.

No comments: