Monday, October 15, 2007

There’s No Business Like. . .

Last Thursday I wrote about my first 2 days on locatiom for the film Play the Game where I was the stand-in for Andy Griffith. I worked again on Friday and fully expected to be back on the set for at least 3 days this week when they would be filming additional scenes with Griffith at different locations. Then, I heard on Saturday that there was a "shake up" in the production and, among other things, they decided to drop the extras casting agency through which I was booked. The agency was not sure if that would affect my booking, thinking, as I did, that there was some benefit to maintaining the same person in the stand-in role.


Well, it wasn't until about 7:00 p.m. last night, after I had sent e-mails and left phone messages, that I learned that a new extras agency had been retained and that they had already booked a new stand-in. Fortunately, I've been around the business long enough to know that you never have the job until it is confirmed and you are on the set working.


And I did see the positive side of the situation: Now I can get caught up on my sleep. This week I won't be leaving home before sunrise and returning after dark. And all-in-all, I had a great time last week. I got to meet and talk with the likes of Griffith, Doris Roberts and Liz Sheridan. I have no illusion that they will even remember who I am but it sure was fun working on the same set with them.


Now I move on to find the next gig. There's no business like. . . .

1 comment:

Eric Valentine said...

After awaiting each re-write of the scripts & wondering about more, there has to be a slight disappointment at least, at this turn of events Leon, I would think.

Yet at the same time a level of satisfaction and enjoyment at that, that you did get to work & experience. :)