Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What do You Write When There's Nothing to Say

What do you write in a blog when you feel like you have nothing to say. I generally don't write just because I have a blog; I like to write about things that might have some interest for somebody.


So, here I am in the process of breaking my own rule. Why? Because it brings to mind a good story.


I can't remember the year that the late Senator Edmund Muskie (D-Maine) was running for President in the primaries. Somewhere along the way, probably in New Hampshire, an energetic young TV reporter decided to interview Muskie's mother. He commented on the fact that she seemed to be a woman of few words and then asked her why she didn't talk more about the campaign and her son and his opponents, etc. Muskie's mother thought for a moment and then replied, "I only speak when it improves on silence."


It's a lesson we all should take to heart. Have a nice day.

3 comments:

Eric Valentine said...

Leon, American elections are so complex & of course exciting, I have a vague recollection of the name Senator Muskie.
I can't argue with the silence comment by his mother. :)

josie2shoes said...

This is probably a lesson I should take to heart. I actually speak very little during the work day, only where it is relevent, minimal visiting. But get me in front of a computer with a keyboard, and I "talk" away for hours. I always have something to say. Whether it is of any value is yet to be determined, but it does prove to be good therapy - write it and release it!

Leon said...

Josie - I agree about the therapeutic value of your writing. Keep it up! I was thinking more of people who babble when they have nothing of value to say. And we all know who we are. ;-D