Monday, February 18, 2008

The Best Bosch I’ve Read. . .

City of Bones by Michael Connelly is only the 4th of his Detective Harry Bosch books I've read, but, for me, it was the best so far. It isn't his most recently published mystery, but it was a spellbinder. It starts with a dog finding a bone in the Hollywood Hills and it follows many twists and turns until the final, unexpected moment of the story.




Once again, Harry Bosch is an all-too-human protagonist. And he is a solid, honest, good detective. He will not settle for "easy" answers that might cast a better light on the LAPD. As in other Connelly novels, Bosch's gut instincts are as good as his detecting skills. The bone, it turns out, was that of a child and had been in the ground over 20 years. This alone makes the case interesting and the path to a solution a rather twisting one. Obviously, I will not provide details; that would make it less of a read for others who might seek out City of Bones. [As it happens, I found it at our local Costco warehouse store.]


I will say that this Connelly effort fell into the I-can't-put-it-down category for me. It started as one of my "morning walk" books and was finished less than two days later during dinner hour because, well, I just had to get to the end. I am a relative newcomer to Connelly and Harry Bosch but I will continue to seek out the rest of the novels in which this likable detective plies his trade.

No comments: